Green Tribunal orders closure of 12 eateries in Hauz Khas

The National Green Tribunal on Wednesday ordered closure of 12 eating joints in Delhi’s Hauz Khas area for not having applied for consent to operate till date since its last year’s order directing them to do so after complying with all the norms.

A bench headed by justices P Jyothimani and M S Nambiar gave the restaurants a week’s time to apply for consent to operate (CTO) and directed Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) to take a decision on their applications on receiving them.

“The 12 restaurants that have not applied for CTO shall not operate from today (Wednesday) onwards. They can apply for CTO within of one week. On receiving their applications, the DPCC is directed to immediately take a decision to give them CTO or not,” the tribunal said.

The NGT also directed DPCC to decide on merit, within two weeks, the applications for CTO of 12 other eateries that are pending with it and said that if these restaurants do not get consent they shall cease to operate.

The tribunal directed the DPCC to file a status report regarding compliance of the NGT’s September 25, 2013, order before the next date of hearing on February 6.

The tribunal had closed all eating joints in Hauz Khas Village for five days as they were functioning without consent of the DPCC and for discharging untreated waste. The tribunal on September 25 had granted them conditional approval to reopen.

It had allowed only those restaurants to open which had installed Effluent Treatment Plants (ETPs) or were in the process of installing them, but clarified that the permission to operate would be subject to final decision of the DPCC.

The Source of This article is :

indianexpress.com


Please visit the website and Support the original source.

The information has been published here for aggregation purposes only.

Tags: